Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Final Project

Artist Statement

This first piece is inspired by a quote from Physics of the Future by Dr. Michio Kaku.  Dr. Kaku, a well respect theoretical physicist and scientific leader, has been openly critical on the misuse of science particularly in relation to climate change, nuclear armament, and nuclear power.  In this quote he addresses our relationship with nature:

“In the future, we will make the transition from being passive observes of the dance of nature, to being choreographers of nature, to being masters of nature, and finally to being conservators of nature.  So let us hope we can wield the sword of science with wisdom and equanimity, taming the barbarism of our ancient past” (17).

I believe that there is a lot of positivity in this statement and have decided to create a drawing that offers a visual idea of what Kaku might be suggesting.    


My art is usually abstract 2D and 3D works that feature recognizable subjects but do not directly replicate real world objects.  I enjoy working in an abstract style because it allows for the highest level of creative expression.  I create work that visualizes my ideas, philosophies, emotions, experience, and understanding of what it is to live; these concepts are usually abstract so it is only logical that my style be too.  But I do not make scribbles all over pages or put simple cubes on pedestals with seemingly no direction or purpose.  My lines are clean, calculated, and very meticulously drawn and my objects are intended to be recognizable. But I do not produce replicas; I want my subjects to be open to different interpretations without being too ambiguous.  I would deem my art as abstract impressionism.

Improvisation is crucial to my process and I generate my compositions on an on-demand basis.  It is not a random process but a process that involves constant calculation from start to finish.  I do not work in a traditional sketch then add color process but balance color, shape, and concept simultaneously.  My compositions can be dense and involve many components.  I strive to create art work that functions much like a symphony with many independent sections working in concert to create one piece.  This is why I almost always use a heavy amount of mixed media in my work.

“Future Constructs: 1” is the first in many pieces I intend to make focusing on the idea of constructed environments.  In this work I portray humanity building ecosystems much in the same way we would construct a building project. I decided to use cranes because they are universally recognizable symbols of large-scale construction.  I leave out any human figures because this is a future prediction and we cannot know what we will be in the future.  It is even possible that we won't do our own construction in the future.  The cranes are building giant unidentified trees instead of skyscrapers.  I decided to portray the trees as partially golden because the idea of constructing something organic seems almost alchemical to me.  Gold is also a universal symbol of high value and I hope that a viewer will see whatever is being made as both precious and organic.  I want “Future Constructs: 1” to be more like contemplative food and less like an argument or statement.  It is my intention to nourish imaginations. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment