Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Day 8

This will be a short write up since day eight was really a repeat of the first day.  We awoke and the blue skies completed the streak of beautiful mornings.  We broke camp for the final time and as promised I packed virtually all of Anren's items in my pack.  It was not light but I was more than happy to do it; the Singaporean had become a good friend over the last few days.  The climb was the hardest of the trip but not long.  We saw a park service trail team go by complete with a mule train.  It was very cool to see old ways of life still preserved.  I talked to Prof. Billo and there is a possibility that I may be able to work for the park service next summer.  That would definitely be an amazing experience.  I met a head of this park branch and he was a total dude.  Very cool guy.  He mentioned they had been doing 15-16 mile days recently.  HA! Put our group to shame right there.  Our average day was no more than 5 miles.    

We were back at the van before midday and we quickly loaded up.  The pack was smelly but satisfied with the trip.  We drove to the top of the gravel ridge and stared out at the Puget Sound.  We took some final pictures and then started the drive home.  The clear cuts looked even worse after being engulfed by such beauty for the past seven days.

The Van


We got to the ferry and I felt exhausted very suddenly.  It was if my body has totally let go realizing that it no longer needed to be as attentive.  The journey home was both depressing and nice.  A shower sounded good but I already missed the Olympics.  The outdoors had forged solid friendships and we all made a point to try to stay in contact.  There is an unspoken camaraderie that develops from these trips that is unique.  I will miss my peers; they are all amazing individuals.  I plan on keeping in contact for sure.  This trip will hold a special place forever in my soul.  It was my first real trip to the Olympic back country and it quickly became one of the greatest wilderness experiences of my life.  I will be back on the Peninsula as soon as I can but I fear this may not happen until next summer.  For now I will have to be patient.


Looking out over the sound

THE END      

No comments:

Post a Comment